Foster To Adopt
Our Foster to Adopt program allows you to do a "trial run" of a dog through fostering.
Why Should I FTA
- FTA allows you to “trial run” a dog to see if it is the right fit for you, your family and your lifestyle.
- Once the dog is in your home, its yours if you want it! No competition or waiting list.
- No money wasted on supplies or adoption fee if it isn’t the right fit.
- You know exactly what you’re getting!
- Limited information from the shelter (dog/cat/kid compatibility, background history, etc.)
- Health and behavior is not pre-screened by a foster
Requirements for FTA
- Must be an approved adopter.
- Must live in the Rochester area (within 45 mins of VSES – Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Services).
- Must comply with our foster rules, guidelines and responsibilities outlined by OFR.
- Agrees to take foster to one of our vet partners if a vetting appointment is required while fostering.
- Is willing to work with health issues.
- Able to foster the dog for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- Prepared to foster the dog beyond 2 weeks if you choose not to adopt.
- Is open to possible unknowns (dog/cat/kid friendly, etc.)
How it Works
- Dogs that are available for FTA will be posted on our private Facebook page for Approved Adopters and our adoption team will also send you dogs we think match what you are looking for.
- Review the dogs’ pictures and info and let us know which ones you are interested in.
- Our adoption team will review everyone’s interests and notify you which of the dogs you were matched with.
- We will let you know when the transport is scheduled to arrive so you can come and pickup your foster dog.
- Once the dog arrives, you will foster the dog for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- After the first week, your adoption coordinator will reach out and check to see if you are interested in adopting your foster
- If you choose to adopt, they are all yours! The adoption will be made official at the end of the 2 week decompression period. If you choose not to adopt, you will continue to foster the dog until they are adopted and you are welcome to continue to FTA other dogs until you find the one!
Interested in our FTA program?
Fill out the adoption application below!